11 May 2010

Mother's Day 2010

I wish I had gotten a picture of myself with my kiddos on Mother's Day--they were so adorable, and for many reasons, this Mother's Day was especially precious. Of course, Ruby is still unaware that any day is different from any other, but Charis and Judah are well aware. Weeks ago, Charis' teacher asked us to bring in a bar of Dove soap for a Mother's Day craft the kids were making. The day Charis brought it home, already beautifully wrapped in tissue paper and ribbon, I thought she would explode with anticipation. On Saturday evening, I stayed home and cleaned the house (I wanted it clean for a relaxing Mother's Day but knew I was on my own for that particular wish) while Abe took the three munchkins to Meijer to have them pick out some treats to give to me the next day. They loved the time with Daddy, and I loved the quiet and very productive time at home.

Sunday morning dawned nice and sunny, if a little bit cold, and I showered and got ready before I went up to wake the kids. I woke Charis first.

"Mom, you were supposed to sleep in as long as you wanted," Charis protested.

Judah wasn't as ready to get up, and he protested differently--whining about how he didn't get to sleep long enough. either. Just then, Charis piped in again. "I'll go downstairs and get your presents," she said. Judah sat straight up, and in his most chipper and excited voice, he said, "Is it MOTHER'S DAY????!!?!?" You'd think it was Christmas morning.

He and Charis were thrilled to be able to celebrate me. I opened the cards and papers and drawings they gave me. Charis wrote her name neatly on her card, but Judah, who can't write very well yet, had drawn me a picture--a page full of a circular mass of scribbles. "I drew you the whole world, Mommy!" Charis gave me her Dove bar craft--a Dove bar wrapped in tulle, with beads attached with pins. I don't totally understand its intended purpose, but it is sitting on display in the bathroom, where I can admire it. I thanked them profusely and asked them to please change quickly into their church clothes. It being my special day, they complied. Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, we made it out the door on time and I arrived to choir a few minutes early. Abe told me that was his Mother's Day gift to me. We spend too many Sunday mornings driving to church in a snit, because I'm frustrated that my husband's lack of time management has made me late yet again. Having a Sunday morning drive be pleasant was truly a great gift.

After church, we discussed what we'd do for lunch. "Make pasta salad," said Judah.

"I'm not cooking," I replied.

"How about pizza?" he asked.

"Yeah," Charis chimed in, "you could make us each our own favorite pizzas!"

"They seem determined to get you to cook," Abe chuckled.

In the end, we did choose pizza, but we chose to have someone else cook it for us. We went to a pizza restaurant near our church, and I think we will definitely go there again. The pizza was outstanding. Abe and I shared a pizza with Alfredo sauce, roasted chicken, bacon, mushrooms, feta cheese, and mozzarella, with a light crust brushed with whipped garlic butter and finished with a sprinkling of oregano and Parmesan. Good grief, it was good. The kids had a cheese pizza and couldn't have been happier.

We returned home where the kids presented me with their treats--double chocolate Klondike bars, a bar of dark chocolate Toblerone, and a dozen Ferrero Rocher Rondnoir chocolates. And two bottles of Coke. Nothing says love like a trunkload of sugar!

After that, we put the kids down for a nap, and I slept for two hours. THAT was a great gift. When we all woke up, we drove to Abe's mom's house. I called my mom on the way and had a nice chat with her. After visiting with Abe's folks for a while, we all packed up and met Abe's sister and family for ice cream. Then it was back home and to bed.

All in all, it was the THE BEST MOTHER'S DAY EVER. Except for the fact that I didn't get a picture to commemorate it, it couldn't have been more perfect.

No comments: