09 April 2007

Doctor, Doctor, Mr. MD

We've been to the pediatrician's office a couple of times in the past two weeks. Fun stuff.

Visit #1: The kids had both had cold-like symptoms for about a week and a half when we woke up that Wednesday. Both were still couchy, snotty, drippy, and late in the afternon, Charis' eyes looked a little bloodshot. "Do they look pink to you?" I asked Abe. "Not really. I think they're okay." "Okay, I guess she can go to church tonight, then!"

When we picked her up from her wednesday night class, the conversation changed. "Do her eyes look pink to you?" Abe said. "Oh, dear." I replied.

That night, I called Abe's mom to see if she would be available to go with me to the pediatrician's office. I asked Charis if she wanted to talk to Yia Yia on the phone. "Charis, tell Yia Yia what color you eyes are." "BLUE!" "And...?" "PINK!"

When I called the pediatrician's office the next day, they asked me if her ears also hurt. I asked, and she said no, so we went to the appointment, and I figured pink eye was it. But no, she also had an ear infetion, so obviously she has a high tolerance for pain. We were prescribed eye drops (a two-year-old's FAVORITE THING) and ten days of amoxicillin (free at our pharmacy!). I spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone with the parents of all of her classmates apologizing for any sickness she may had unwittingly spread.

Thankfully, perhaps due in part to my hyper-sanitizing, no one else got the funk.

But we returned to the office today for...

Visit #2: Judah's 12-month well-baby. He is in excellent health, right on track in everything! He was 23-odd pounds, and 29-odd inches, 50th percentile all the way. He got shots, which made him very clingy and needy the rest of the day, poor kid (and mom). We're glad he checked out okay!

One more thing: Charis has learned a new trick. The other night, I was putting her to bed, reading her a Curious George story, when she said randomly, "Two mommies!" What on earth...? I wondered. I looked over at my beautiful, precious, flawless daughter, and her eyes were crossed like some sort of goofy teenager. It completely creeps Abe out!

2 comments:

Charity said...

Ya gotta love the eye drops! I scrolled down and looked at some of the pix of your kiddos - they are so adorable. What a cute age. I am convinced that God makes them extra funny at this age to balance out some of the more challenging moments! :-) Thinking about how fast they grow makes you want to cherish every moment (well, almost every moment!) of their little lives, eh?

Charis & Judah's Mom said...

You know it. No, really, I read your blog faithfully, and you DO know it! Isn't every age the most fun?